Dear Kate: How do we love thee? Let us count the (top ten) ways:
1. We like how normal you appear to be. You seem like you could be in Us Weekly's "Just like Us" pages, which show celebrities stocking up on groceries or coaching Little League. Sure, you're going to be less like us in the future. But you aren't ever going to make us feel uncomfortable by wearing a vial of blood around your neck or "stealing" someone else's husband, a la Angelina Jolie.
2. We agree with your views on the issues. Of course, that's because you have stayed mum. As a result, we can't quibble with your thoughts on NATO bombing Libya or gay marriage. "She does a good job of being kind of a blank slate," says Elizabeth Berger, a child psychiatrist and author of Raising Kids with Character. "We don't really know what she thinks about anything."
3. We like the fairy tale. "She doesn't give you anything to work with that would obstruct the Disney version of the smiling beauty who carries off the prince," says Berger.
4. We applaud your natural beauty. No implants. No ultra-low-cut shirts. No overly bleached tresses. "It's sort of refreshing that she hasn't dyed her hair blonde," says Berger.
5. We think you truly love Prince William. You endured those Waitie Katie taunts and stood by your man. And he married you. Women tend to feel "yearning and pleasure around attachment," says Carl Hindy, a psychologist in Nashua, N.H., and author of If This Is Love, Why Do I Feel So Insecure? "They identify with the bride and share the joy."
6. We admire your closeness to your family. You're spotted with your parents, and your dad walked you down the aisle. You, your brother, James, and your sister, Pippa, seem to enjoy hanging out together. And your new family seems to like you. (After all, the Queen gave you her version of a thumbs up by approving of the nuptials.)
7. We like your humble beginnings. It's nice to know that your mom's side of the family traces back to coal miners, and that your parents are self-made types who started Party Pieces (which sells balloons and confetti, among other things).
8. We like your sense of style. The Sarah Burton dress and the 1936 tiara for the wedding were the best. But your everyday clothes are a hit with us, too. You wear tailored, tasteful outfits – and even jeans.
9. We like your smile. Really. Who wants a glum princess?
10. We like your tastefulness. That post-ceremony kiss on the Buckingham Palace balcony was short but sweet. And it let us believe in happily ever after, at least for now.
P.S. We will try not to immediately ask when you're going to get pregnant.
For more about royal families, read:
For more about weddings, read: